Printfriendly

About Me

My photo
Mother of 2 and wife to Travis.I am a Jill of all trades,master of none. I like to dabble in everything, so follow me on my journey; raising kids, working towards a healthier lifestyle, new recipes, menus, homeschooling, crafts,enjoying our home the Great Smoky Mountains, etc...What we call...LIFE :-)

Friday, August 23, 2013

Clean Chicken Kale "Gumbo"



Who is ready for Fall?  >>This girl<<
For a while now I have been making a pot of soup either Sunday night or Monday morning to eat on through out the week. I try to keep it mixed up so I do not get bored. I have wanted to make Gumbo for some time but, I did not want to use what most traditional gumbos call for. I have seen some with bacon,ham hock, flour, butter,etc...I just wanted a clean eating gumbo. So I looked all around Pinterest, YouTube,etc.. and this is what I came up with .

What you will need:

2 tsp EVOO
White Onion
4 tsp minced onion
Pinch sea salt
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, diced small
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp dried Thyme
1 tsp smoked Paprika
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 box organic low sodium Chicken Broth
1 28 oz petite diced Tomatoes
1 can OR 1 small bag frozen Corn
1 small bag frozen Okra
1 can Cannellini Beans,drained and rinsed
2 cups Kale,chopped
1 cup water (more if you prefer soupier)

1. Heat EVOO in dutch oven(or stock pot), add onion and garlic and pinch of salt. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Until onions are translucent.

2. Add chicken, cook until no longer pink.

3. Add Oregano,Thyme,Paprika, and Garlic Powder. Mix well. Allow to cook for 1 minute.


4. Add  water,broth, tomatoes,corn,okra, and beans. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and add the Kale. Let simmer for about 30 minutes and then it's ready to eat :-)




*You can serve this over brown rice

*You can use creole seasoning instead of  the spices listed if you have it on hand.

*Add some cayenne pepper if you want to "kick it up a notch"  or just add hot sauce to individual bowls.

Y'all try this next time you want some Gumbo! :-)

What kind of soups do you make the most? Care to share some clean eating soups?






1 comment: