Printfriendly

About Me

My photo
Mother of 2 and wife to Travis.I am a Jill of all trades,master of none. I like to dabble in everything, so follow me on my journey; raising kids, working towards a healthier lifestyle, new recipes, menus, homeschooling, crafts,enjoying our home the Great Smoky Mountains, etc...What we call...LIFE :-)

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Vegetable Beef Soup





When I think about comfort food, this soup is one of
 the recipes that is first in line! 
My Mom made this all the time when I was a kid, with a big pan of cornbread! 

It's super simple, nothing fancy.
 But every time I make it takes me home to Pittman Center, smelling Mommas cornbread, smelling the smoke from the chimney, and breathing in that cool crisp air of Autumn. 

I love Mommas recipe but sometimes I change a few things, I will tell you the recipes for both. 

YaYa's Beef and Vegetable Soup

1lb ground beef
1 yellow onion
1 can whole tomatoes, squished up
1 large can of Veg All(drained)
(or cut up and use potatoes, carrots, okra, onions,etc)
Beef or Chicken broth(eye ball to cover everything, usually a box) 
Salt and Pepper 
1-2 Tbsp Butter(not margarine)


*Fry the hamburger and the onion in your pot.

 *Drain the grease off. 

*Add back to the pan.

*Add the rest of the ingredients, cook for 2-3 hours 
and add butter right at the end before serving. 


YaYa's Cornbread 

2 cups cornmeal mix 
1 egg 
1/4 vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk

*Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. 

*Grease your cast iron skillet.

*Pour batter in to the skillet. 

*Cook at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes. 

*Remove from oven and turn out on a plate or cutting board. 




Sara's Vegetable Soup 

1lb ground beef(or ground turkey)
1 yellow onion  
1 can diced tomatoes(I use whole if I have it, YaYa says they are softer) 
1 can green beans(drained and rinsed) 
1 can corn(drained and rinsed) 
1-2 Sweet Potatoes(depending on size of potato)
1 box Vegetable Broth 
Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper

*Fry the meat and onion in your pot. 
(I use a dutch oven and I use a bit of oil if I use turkey,
 I also add a bit of garlic powder here too)and then drain. 

*Add the meat back to the pot, and then add everything else in.

*I try to let cook at least 2 hours, sometimes I make
 in the morning and let it cook all day long!  



No matter which one you decide to make, 
this soup is delicious and definitely a great comfort food!  


P.S. Yes, I am aware that I do not always take great food pictures! Sometimes I am lucky to get a shot of any of the food I make before it has a bite out of it, cut, or completely gone. 
Remember I blog and share with everyone as a Hobby! 
Although the picture won't win any ribbons, the soup is still delicious! ;-) 




No comments:

Post a Comment